Chicken Taco Saladwith avocados / sour cream / cheese / chipotle lime dressing
Taco salads make for a fun and lighter twist on classic tacos. Marinated chicken is the star in this version, but don't miss all the other flavor-packed ingredients including a spicy and tart chipotle lime dressing.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (sub thighs) - 1 lb, sliced
- Lettuce, iceburg - 16 leaves, chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry - 24, halved
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Cheese, Mexican blend - 1/2 cup
- Tortilla chips - 20
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- Oil, cooking - 6 Tbsp
- Limes - 1, zest and juice of
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Chipotle pepper (canned, found usually in adobo sauce) - 1/2
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek (sub sour cream) - 2 Tbsp
- Make dressing - Place garlic, oil, lime zest and juice, honey, soy sauce, chipotle pepper and paprika into food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt, pepper, a bit more honey or an additional portion of chipotle pepper (if you like more spice). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Slice chicken and tenderize with a fork. Toss chicken in half the dressing (reserve the remaining half to dress the salad) and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Avocados - Slice avocados.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to heated oil (discard marinade). Season with some salt and pepper. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Assemble salads by topping lettuce with chicken, tomatoes, avocados, sour cream and cheese. Whisk reserved dressing with yogurt and pour over salad just before serving. Enjoy with tortilla chips crumbled over top or served on the side!
This meal has 56 reviews
The chicken was a bit boring, but that chipotle dressing is amazing!
This was pretty good, mostly due to the chipotle pepper sauce. Otherwise, not too exciting.
Everkyone loved it! Great flavors and refreshing change from the regular tacos or taco salads we have.
A favorite! Dressing/ marinade was spicy but so delicious. I might tone down the spice next time for my kids but YUM. Also this was a quick one to throw together, which I always appreciate!
Subbed iceberg for Romaine and greek yogurt for sour cream. Used a whole chipotle and marinated the chicken for 24 hours so it was mostly absorbed. Yum!
Yum!!! I added too much chipotle because I was unfamiliar with the amount of heat it gives off so I added more honey and lime. Still hot but the balance was perfect! So tasty I went for seconds! I also added taco sauce as a topping.