Pork and Mushroom Lettuce Cups
with spicy cashew sauce / pineapple coconut smoothie
- Mushrooms, white or brown button - 8 oz , chopped
- Lettuce, iceburg - 8 leaves
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type (sub water) - 1/4 cup
- Cashew butter (sub any nut butter) - 4 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Chili garlic sauce (sub hot sauce of choice) - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Coconut milk, light (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Pineapple cubes, fresh or frozen (sub any tropical fruit like mango or papaya) - 3 cups
- Bananas - 2
- Ice cubes (omit if using frozen fruit) - 2 cups
Make cashew sauce - Combine stock, cashew butter, aminos, toasted sesame oil, chili garlic sauce and vinegar. Season to taste with salt, pepper, a bit more chili garlic sauce if you'd like. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Mushrooms / Lettuce - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Make smoothie - Combine coconut milk, pineapple, bananas and ice in a blender (rinse it out first if used to make peanut sauce) and blend until smooth.
Heat a saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then mushrooms to hot oil. Saute until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add frozen peas and carrots and saute until any excess water cooks off and veggies are hot, about 2 minutes more. Set vegetables aside and return pan to heat.
Add second part of oil and pork to hot pan. Season with salt and pepper and saute pork until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Move pork to othe sides of the pan, creating a donut in the middle. To the center of the donut, add cashew sauce. When it begins to simmer, add vegetables back to the pan. Stir to combine all ingredients.
Spoon filling into lettuce leaves and serve with smoothie on the side. Enjoy!