Pork and Mushroom Lettuce Cups
with spicy cashew sauce / pineapple coconut smoothie
- Mushrooms, white or brown button - 8 oz, chopped
- Lettuce, iceburg - 8 leaves
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type (sub water) - 1/4 cup
- Cashew butter (sub any nut butter) - 4 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Chili garlic sauce (sub hot sauce of choice) - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Coconut milk, light (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Pineapple cubes, fresh or frozen (sub any tropical fruit like mango or papaya) - 3 cups
- Bananas - 2
- Ice cubes (omit if using frozen fruit) - 2 cups
- Make cashew sauce - Combine stock, cashew butter, aminos, toasted sesame oil, chili garlic sauce and vinegar. Season to taste with salt, pepper, a bit more chili garlic sauce if you'd like. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Lettuce - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make smoothie - Combine coconut milk, pineapple, bananas and ice in a blender (rinse it out first if used to make peanut sauce) and blend until smooth.
- Heat a saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then mushrooms to hot oil. Saute until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add frozen peas and carrots and saute until any excess water cooks off and veggies are hot, about 2 minutes more. Set vegetables aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil and pork to hot pan. Season with salt and pepper and saute pork until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Move pork to othe sides of the pan, creating a donut in the middle. To the center of the donut, add cashew sauce. When it begins to simmer, add vegetables back to the pan. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Spoon filling into lettuce leaves and serve with smoothie on the side. Enjoy!
Just cut the lettuce and made a salad instead of using it like cups. Loved the spicy cashew sauce.0 Helpful
I didn't like the peanut sauce.0 Helpful
Substitute tofu for chicken.0 Helpful
It was good, but I think if I were to make it again I'd use less peanut butter.0 Helpful
I liked it, but thought it could use less peanut butter and more spice.0 Helpful
I liked the peanut sauce and the smoothie, but somehow this didn't come together for me.0 Helpful