Tofu and Mushroom Lettuce Cups
with spicy peanut sauce / pineapple coconut smoothie
- Tofu, extra-firm (vacuum-packed preferable) - 16 oz , cubed
- Mushrooms, white or brown button - 8 oz , chopped
- Lettuce, iceburg - 8 leaves
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Cornstarch - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Peanuts, roasted and unsalted - 1/4 cup
- Stock, any type (sub water) - 1/4 cup
- Peanut butter, any variety - 4 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Chili garlic sauce (sub Sriracha or hot sauce of choice) - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Coconut milk, light (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Pineapple cubes, fresh or frozen (sub any tropical fruit like mango or papaya) - 3 cups
- Bananas - 2
- Ice cubes (omit if using frozen fruit) - 2 cups
Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.25cm cubes. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
Make peanut sauce - Combine stock, peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, toasted sesame oil, chili garlic sauce and vinegar. Season to taste with salt, pepper, a bit more honey or chili garlic sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Mushrooms / Lettuce - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Make smoothie - Combine coconut milk, pineapple, bananas and ice in a blender (rinse it out first if used to make peanut sauce) and blend until smooth.
Season tofu with some salt and pepper and toss in cornstarch until evenly coated.
To hot pan, add second part of cooking oil and then mushrooms to hot oil. Saute until mushrooms are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add frozen peas and carrots and saute until any excess water cooks off and veggies are hot, about 2 minutes more. Move veggies to the sides of the pan, creating a donut in the middle. Add sauce to the center of the donut and when it begins to simmer, add tofu back to the pan with peanuts. Stir to combine all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon filling into lettuce leaves and serve with smoothie on the side. Enjoy!