Pan Seared Halloumi with Pan Sauce
and orzo / green beans / almonds
Pan Seared Halloumi with Pan Sauce:
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, Halloumi - 12 oz , sliced 1/2" (1.3cm) thick
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Wine, white (sub stock) - 1/4 cup
- Water, hot tap - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
Orzo with Green Beans and Almonds:
- Green beans, fresh or frozen - 1 lb , trimmed and sliced into 1" (2.5 cm) pieces
- Pasta, uncooked orzo (sub Israeli couscous) - 1/2 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1 , zest of
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Prep breading - Whisk together the first portion of flour, salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans / Cheese - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop, keeping green and white parts separate. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Bring a large stock pot of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta and green beans. Cook until pasta and green beans are tender (they should finish cooking at the same time). Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, coat halloumi with prepared flour mixture (shake it to remove any excess or the coating will burn) and set on a plate.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then halloumi to heated oil. Sear on both sides until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Set halloumi aside and cover it with foil to keep it warm. Return pan to heat.
- If the pan looks dry, add a splash of cooking oil. Add white parts of green onions and saute until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine and simmer, scraping up any browned bits in the bottom of the pan, until reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. In a separate bowl, whisk second part of flour with hot water. Add the flour mixture and stock to the pan and simmer everything until a thickened sauce forms. Turn off the heat and stir in green parts of green onions. Season with salt and pepper and pour over halloumi.
- Toss pasta and green beans with butter and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Top with almonds.
- Serve halloumi with pasta and green beans on the side. Enjoy!