Turkey Cutlets with Creamy Pan Sauce
and orzo / green beans / almonds
Turkey Cutlets with Pan Sauce:
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/3 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green parts only
- Turkey breasts (sub chicken), look for pre-sliced cutlets at the meat counter - 1 lb , sliced and pounded thin
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
Orzo with Green Beans and Almonds:
- Green beans, fresh or frozen - 1 lb , trimmed and sliced into 1" (2.5 cm) pieces
- Pasta, uncooked orzo (sub Israeli couscous) - 1/2 cup
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1 , zest of
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Prep breading - Whisk together flour, salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Trim and slice into 1" / 2.5cm pieces. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green parts only (use white parts in another dish). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Turkey - Halve and thin out with a tenderizer so it’s about 1/4” / 0.6 cm thick. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prep sauce - Combine stock and lemon juice in one bowl. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream and green parts of green onions.
- Bring a large stock pot of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta and green beans. Cook until pasta and green beans are tender (they should finish cooking at the same time). Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, coat turkey with prepared flour mixture (shake it to remove any excess or the coating will burn) and set on a plate.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then turkey to heated oil. Sear on both sides until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. (If the turkey won't easily fit in the pan without overlapping, sear it in batches.) Set turkey aside and cover to keep warm. Return pan to heat.
- To hot pan add stock and lemon juice, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Simmer until liquid reduces to nearly the thickness of oil, 2 to 3 minutes (be patient with this step since reducing the liquid significantly is what will prevent the sauce from "breaking" when you add the sour cream). Remove the pan from the heat and give the liquid a stir to cool it down a bit. Whisk in sour cream and green parts of green onions until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over turkey cutlets.
- Toss pasta and green beans with butter and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Top with almonds.
- Serve turkey with pasta and green beans on the side. Enjoy!