Portobello and Broccoli Soba
with tofu / sweet and spicy sauce / cashews
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4, sliced
- Broccoli - 10 oz, florets
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Noodles, soba (sub any noodle, like spaghetti or udon) - 8 oz
- Cornstarch - 2 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix (sub cabbage, thinly sliced) - 7 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Sriracha (opt) - for serving
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 4 Tbsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Miso, any type - 2 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Chili-garlic sauce (sub any hot sauce) - 2 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.25cm cubes. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine soy sauce, water, honey, miso, cornstarch, vinegar, toasted sesame oil and chili-garlic sauce. Taste and add additional chili garlic sauce to taste. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Portobellos - Remove stems and scrape out gills using the side of a spoon. Slice into ~1/2” / 1.2 cm thick strips. Pour half the sauce over mushrooms (reserve the other half). Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Broccoli / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Boil noodles - Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Add soba noodles and cook according to package instructions. If not using right away, spread noodles out onto a sheet pan which will keep them from sticking until you toss them in the stir-fry.
- Season tofu with some salt and pepper and toss in cornstarch until evenly coated.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then tofu to heated oil. Toss until golden brown and tender. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Return wok to heat. Add second part of cooking oil and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms start to brown, about 3 minutes. Add broccoli and garlic with a splash of water. Saute until water is cooked off and broccoli is tender (the water will help steam the broccoli without it burning in the hot pan), ~3 minutes. When broccoli is tender, add coleslaw and saute until coleslaw is tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Push all ingredients to the side, forming a donut in the middle of the wok. Give sauce a stir and then pour it into the hole. Let it sit until you see it darken in color and start to bubble. When that happens, add noodles, tofu and cashews to the wok and toss to coat everything in sauce.
- Serve immediately with extra sriracha hot sauce if desired. Enjoy!
added green peppers. tossed noodles with some sesame oil to keep them from sticking together.0 Helpful
Think a different cut of beef would be better.0 Helpful
It was all right. I felt like it was missing ginger and needed a bit more acid.0 Helpful
It was okay. We couldn't find Miso in our local grocery stores, so that may be the reason it was okay. We will try it again when we get miso from Amazon.0 Helpful
This was fantastic!0 Helpful
Kids didn't like this and it wasn't my favorite.0 Helpful