Taco Salad with Black Beans
and avocados / wild rice / cilantro lime dressing
- Coriander, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine (sub butterhead) - 1 head, chopped
- Avocados - 2
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Cooked wild rice (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Cheese, queso fresco (sub Mexican cheddar blend) - 4 oz, crumbled
- Tortilla chips, for serving -
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, leaves chopped
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Spice mix - Combine coriander, paprika, cumin and chili powder. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Lettuce - Chop lettuce.
- Avocados / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Make dressing - Whisk together cilantro leaves, lime juice, oil, honey and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet with oil over medium-high heat. To heated oil add the shallots and saute until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beans and spice mix and saute just until warmed through, ~2 minutes more.
- Reheat wild rice in microwave (or in a skillet over medium heat with a splash of water to prevent it from drying out).
- Assemble salads by topping lettuce with rice, black beans, cheese and avocados. Drizzle salad dressing over top and serve with chips on the side. Enjoy!
I made the salsa a salad by adding mixed greens and I doubled the spice mix. Great!0 Helpful
Will definitely make again. Especially the side avocado salsa. That would be great with anything/ like simple grilled chicken. A great side to bring to a potluck.0 Helpful
This was really delicious. I never would have thought to make a salsa with avocados and oranges, but it was really good.0 Helpful
Avocado salsa was really good0 Helpful
I didn't have any pepitas. Added a little water to the rice mixture and covered the skillet with foil for the oven to keep the rice from getting too crispy. Used blood oranges. Everything was delicious and came together quickly. It was even toddler approved0 Helpful
Chicken thighs were tender and moist.0 Helpful