Taco Salad with Black Beans
and avocados / wild rice / cilantro lime dressing
Taco Salad with Black Beans:
- Coriander, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine (sub butterhead) - 1 head , chopped
- Avocados - 2
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Shallots - 1 clove , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Cooked wild rice (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Cheese, queso fresco (sub Mexican cheddar blend) - 4 oz , crumbled
- Tortilla chips, for serving -
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , leaves chopped
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Spice mix - Combine coriander, paprika, cumin and chili powder. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Lettuce - Chop lettuce.
- Avocados / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Make dressing - Whisk together cilantro leaves, lime juice, oil, honey and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet with oil over medium-high heat. To heated oil add the shallots and saute until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beans and spice mix and saute just until warmed through, ~2 minutes more.
- Reheat wild rice in microwave (or in a skillet over medium heat with a splash of water to prevent it from drying out).
- Assemble salads by topping lettuce with rice, black beans, cheese and avocados. Drizzle salad dressing over top and serve with chips on the side. Enjoy!