Southwestern Chicken Salad
with oranges / avocados / pepitas / cilantro lime dressing
Southwestern Chicken Salad:
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs , sliced
- Lettuce, romaine (sub butterhead) - 1 head , chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 2 , chopped
- Oranges - 2 , segments, roughly chopped
- Avocados - 2 , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , leaves chopped
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Spice mix - Combine coriander, salt, paprika, cumin, chili powder and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice and toss in spice mix.
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Oranges / Avocados / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Make dressing - Whisk together cilantro leaves, lime juice, oil (portion for the dressing), honey and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet with oil over medium-high heat. To heated oil add the chicken strips and saute until chicken is cooked through.
- Assemble salads by topping lettuce with chicken, tomatoes, pepitas, oranges and avocados. Drizzle salad dressing over top and enjoy!