Southwestern Chicken Salad
with oranges / avocados / pepitas / cilantro lime dressing
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs, sliced
- Lettuce, romaine (sub butterhead) - 1 head, chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 2, chopped
- Oranges - 2, segments, roughly chopped
- Avocados - 2, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, leaves chopped
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Spice mix - Combine coriander, salt, paprika, cumin, chili powder and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice and toss in spice mix.
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Oranges / Avocados / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Make dressing - Whisk together cilantro leaves, lime juice, oil (portion for the dressing), honey and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet with oil over medium-high heat. To heated oil add the chicken strips and saute until chicken is cooked through.
- Assemble salads by topping lettuce with chicken, tomatoes, pepitas, oranges and avocados. Drizzle salad dressing over top and enjoy!
I made the salsa a salad by adding mixed greens and I doubled the spice mix. Great!0 Helpful
Will definitely make again. Especially the side avocado salsa. That would be great with anything/ like simple grilled chicken. A great side to bring to a potluck.0 Helpful
This was really delicious. I never would have thought to make a salsa with avocados and oranges, but it was really good.0 Helpful
Avocado salsa was really good0 Helpful
I didn't have any pepitas. Added a little water to the rice mixture and covered the skillet with foil for the oven to keep the rice from getting too crispy. Used blood oranges. Everything was delicious and came together quickly. It was even toddler approved0 Helpful
Chicken thighs were tender and moist.0 Helpful