Sausage and Mushroom Soup
with shredded kale and apple salad
- Carrots - 1/4 lb, chopped
- Leeks - 2, white parts chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Mushrooms, fresh shiitakes (sub any brown variety) - 8 oz, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1/2 tsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1 lb
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Kale, any type - 1 bunch, stems removed, leaves finely chopped
- Apples, any type - 1, matchsticks
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add oil and then leeks and carrots to heated oil. Saute until leeks are golden brown and carrots are tender, ~6 minutes. Add shallots and apple cider vinegar and saute until shallots are tender, 1 minute more. Add sausage and saute until sausage is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add stock and mushrooms and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer soup until mushrooms are tender, ~8 minutes.
- While soup simmers, slice apples into matchsticks. Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Toss with kale, apples and almonds. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Taste soup and add additional seasoning, if needed. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with salad on the side.
I am from Minnesota and consider myself an expert on wild rice soup. I followed this recipe and was very impressed. The flavor was great and really brought out the flavor of this tasty and nutritious grain. Really loved the soup with the salad--a great match for sure.0 Helpful
I really liked the salad, but I think I over-lemoned the soup unfortunately.0 Helpful
Really enjoyed this. The soup was surprisingly good (don't know why I chose to make this when I'm usually not into mushrooms)...it was a little under-seasoned, but that was a quick fix. I loved the salad. I will 100% make the salad again. Soon.0 Helpful
Loved that this soup was hearty without any meat. However, even with using beef stock I thought it lacked some flavor. After the first bite added some TJ's 21 seasoning salute. This helped with the flavor a lot. Would like to see this recipe again, but reworked for more flavor. Also, my mushrooms turned out a little rubbery, maybe I should have sauteed longer?0 Helpful
We added rotisserie chicken to it and it was amazing! We also added more mushrooms, added the other half of the rice and more stock.0 Helpful
Lemon juice and garlic powder helped a ton. We used chicory instead of kale and it was perfect. Will definitely make this again.0 Helpful