Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
with roasted rosemary cauliflower
These lamb meatballs get their Greek flavor from cumin and oregano and then they're simmered to tenderness in a tomato sauce. Paired with roasted cauliflower, you'll love the flavors of this easy weeknight dinner.
Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce:
- Onions - 1 , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Ground lamb - 1 1/4 lbs
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Oregano - 1 1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Wine, red (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Crushed tomatoes (28oz / 794g) - 1 can
- Stock, chicken - 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon - 1/2 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Stevia - a pinch
- Cayenne - 1/4 tsp
Roasted Rosemary Cauliflower:
- Rosemary, fresh - 2 tsp , chopped
- Cauliflower - 1 head , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oregano - 1 tsp
- Pine nuts - 2 oz
- Rosemary / Cauliflower - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Garlic / Parsley - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make meatballs - Mix ground lamb with cumin, first part of oregano, salt, and pepper. Shape into 1 ½” / 3.75cm wide meatballs. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Spread cauliflower out onto a sheet pan and cover tightly with foil. ‘Steam’ in oven for 10 minutes.
- While cauliflower cooks, prepare sauce by heating a saute pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions with a sprinkle of salt to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add wine and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, garlic, cinnamon, second part of oregano, thyme, Stevia, and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Drop in meatballs and then simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Rotate meatballs halfway through cooking.
- Once cauliflower has steamed for 10 minutes, remove foil. Toss with olive oil, rosemary, and oregano. Roast for 15 to 25 minutes, shaking and rotating midway through until cauliflower is golden. Add pine nuts in the last minute of roasting. Season to taste with salt and pepper hot out of the oven.
- Enjoy meatballs with roasted cauliflower on the side!