Penne with Greek Style Meat Sauce
with roasted rosemary cauliflower
- Onions - 1, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Penne - 8 to 10 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Ground lamb - 1 lb
- Wine, red (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Crushed tomatoes (28oz / 794g) - 1 can
- Stock, chicken - 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon - 1/2 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Cayenne - 1/4 tsp
- Feta - 2 oz, crumbled
- Rosemary, fresh - 2 tsp, chopped
- Cauliflower - 1 head, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oregano - 1 tsp
- Feta - 2 oz, crumbled
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Spread cauliflower out onto a sheet pan and cover tightly with foil. ‘Steam’ in oven for 10 minutes.
- While cauliflower cooks, start a pot of water for pasta. Salt boiling water and cook pasta until al dente (tender but still with a bite).
- Prepare sauce by heating a saute pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions with a sprinkle of salt to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add ground meat to onions. Break up with a wooden spoon and brown for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add wine and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, garlic, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, sugar, and cayenne. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Once cauliflower has steamed for 10 minutes, remove foil. Toss with olive oil, rosemary, and oregano. Roast for 15 to 25 minutes, shaking and rotating midway through until cauliflower is golden. Toss with feta hot out of the oven. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle sauce over pasta and finish with parsley and feta. Enjoy with roasted cauliflower on the side!
Good, added bay leaf to the sauce. Didn’t do the cauliflower0 Helpful
This is good. I substituted goat for lamb. I can't believe there are no goat recipes on this site. I felt there was a lot of sauce for the amount of pasta. Would make more pasta next time.0 Helpful
Pretty good. The meatballs could have used more spices.0 Helpful
Delicious. Our blender broke so it was chunky but still great. The types and quantity of dairy in the whole meal was a little daunting but definitely worked.0 Helpful
Really good! Used ground beef instead of ground lamb just because I couldn't find ground lamb. Added spinach to the sauce. Wish I had added bell pepper and mushrooms as well. -R0 Helpful
My first time cooking lamb and pleased to say that hubby, as well as both 1 and 3 years olds all devoured. Cauliflower had the best flavor!0 Helpful