Rustic Mushroom Potpiewith apple spinach salad
We love a potpie for a cold-weather dinner and this one is comforting and filled with veggies. A tart apple spinach salad on the side is perfect to cut through the potpie's richness.
Smarts: We use frozen veggies to decrease the cooking time. If you want to make separate servings, spoon potpies into ramekins and cover in puff pastry.
- Puff pastry (sub pie crust) - 10 oz sheet
- Onions, small - 1, diced
- Celery - 3 ribs, diced
- Mushrooms, brown - 1 lb, sliced
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Sherry (opt) - 3 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Flour - 4 Tbsp
- Broth, vegetable - 1 1/2 cups
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Carrots and peas, frozen - 12 oz
- Apples, any type - 1, sliced
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sugar, brown - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1 oz
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a saute pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add butter and then onions and celery to melted butter with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms with sherry and thyme and saute for 5 to 7 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in flour and cook for ~30 seconds.
- Add broth, milk, frozen veggies, and parsley. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until mixture is thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer filling to an 8” / 20cm square baker (this is the size for 4 servings; you may need a smaller or larger container if customizing serving sizes). Place baker on a rimmed sheet pan and cover with puff pastry. Cut a few slits into the pastry and then transfer to oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until crust is golden.
- While potpie is baking, slice apples. Whisk together apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and cooking oil. When potpie’s done, toss vinaigrette with spinach, apples, and almonds.
- Enjoy potpie with salad on the side!
This meal has 74 reviews
Yum! Used leftover turkey to add a little extra to it after trying the original version a while back.
This looked like it was going to be tastier than it wasn't. Mushroom sauce could have done without the peas.
Added fresh bell pepper and chicken breast to the pot pie. Used a bag of frozen mixed veggies with carrots, peas, corn, and green beans. Added craisens to the salad. Great! -R
I would add red pepper flakes or a spicy sauce to this, but it was very delicious. Easy, and had comforting flavors.
Not a favourite. Although it sounded good it lacked flavour in the end.
Super tasty and easy!