Italian Sausage and Chard Soup
with balsamic roasted broccoli
- Parsley - 6 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, small - 1, diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Broccoli - 1 1/2 lbs, chopped
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Toss broccoli with red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, cooking oil, and some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast for 20 minutes, shaking once and rotating pan midway through.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and carrots to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil. Add in mushrooms and simmer uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Fold in chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before spooning into individual bowls and top with parsley.
- Finish roasted broccoli with lemon juice and enjoy with soup!
Second time making this. It's so easy and delicious. Will be on a rotation in winter with this.0 Helpful
Used cooked sausage. Added cayenne and smoked paprika. Delicious! Broccoli was good but seemed unnecessary.0 Helpful
Any meal that gets my 19 month old to clear his plate is a 5 star meal in my book! The only change I made was an extra can of beans. Also, I bought ground italian sausage the second time around so I didn't have to mess with the casings.0 Helpful
Really good! Did not drain the tomatoes and added a little more chicken stock than was called for. Bread definitely not needed but is a nice addition. This soup does have a bit of a kick to it. -R0 Helpful
I was not looking forward to this soup but what a wonderful surprise! It was full of flavour and delicious0 Helpful
So easy and delicious - quite filling, too!0 Helpful