Italian Sausage and Chard White Bean Soup
with balsamic roasted broccoli
Italian Sausage and Chard White Bean Soup:
- Parsley - 6 sprigs , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan - for serving
Balsamic Roasted Broccoli:
- Broccoli - 1 1/2 lbs , chopped
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Toss broccoli with red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, cooking oil, and some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast for 20 minutes, shaking once and rotating pan midway through.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and mushrooms to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Fold in beans and chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before spooning into individual bowls and top with parsley.