Italian Sausage and Chard White Bean Soup
with parmesan garlic bread
This soup first appeared in our 9/29/14 meal plan and it was so loved, we're bringing it back. Folks felt it was so hearty that the garlic bread wasn't even needed - so completely up to you whether to include or not.
Smarts: Feeling lazy? Sub baby spinach for the chard for less prep.
- Parsley - 6 sprigs, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - for serving
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Parmesan - 2 Tbsp, grated
- Baguette or ciabbata - 4 oz
- For bread & soup | Parsley / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- For soup | Onions / Chard / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep garlic bread - Mash garlic with butter, parmesan, and parsley. Slice bread open lengthwise, and spread on butter.
- Tomatoes - Drain.
- White beans - Rinse and drain.
- Heat up oven to 375F / 191C. Place bread onto a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until bread is golden.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and mushrooms to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add in beans and chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before spooning into individual bowls and top with parsley. Enjoy with garlic bread! Soup can be served with parmesan if you’re a big cheese fan.
Second time making this. It's so easy and delicious. Will be on a rotation in winter with this.0 Helpful
Used cooked sausage. Added cayenne and smoked paprika. Delicious! Broccoli was good but seemed unnecessary.0 Helpful
Any meal that gets my 19 month old to clear his plate is a 5 star meal in my book! The only change I made was an extra can of beans. Also, I bought ground italian sausage the second time around so I didn't have to mess with the casings.0 Helpful
Really good! Did not drain the tomatoes and added a little more chicken stock than was called for. Bread definitely not needed but is a nice addition. This soup does have a bit of a kick to it. -R0 Helpful
I was not looking forward to this soup but what a wonderful surprise! It was full of flavour and delicious0 Helpful
So easy and delicious - quite filling, too!0 Helpful