Shiitake and Edamame Rice Bowls
with sesame sauce / fried egg
Something about topping a rice bowl with a fried egg transforms it from good to great. We love the combination of flavors and protein-rich ingredients that form the base of this one-bowl dinner.
Shiitake and Edamame Rice Bowls:
- Mushrooms, fresh shiitakes - 8 oz , roughly chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Edamame, without shells - 1 cup
- Eggs - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Cooked rice (leftover from Tuesday) - ~1 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 Tbsp
- Miso paste, any type - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Mirin (find this Japanese rice wine in the international aisle or sub a splash of white wine) - 1 tsp
- Make sauce - Combine soy sauce, water, sesame seeds, miso paste, honey and mirin. Adjust taste as needed - use soy sauce for more savory or honey for more sweetness. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Green onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Edamame - If frozen, defrost in a bowl of warm water. Drain.
- Eggs - Crack into individual teacups or prep bowls.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Add first part of oil and white parts of green onions to heated oil. Saute until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until very tender, ~3 minutes. Add spinach and saute until spinach is wilted and excess water has steamed off, ~3 minutes. Add edamame and sesame sauce. Cook just until everything is warmed through. Transfer mushroom mixture to a mixing bowl and cover to keep warm. Wipe out pan and return to heat.
- To hot pan, add second part of oil. To hot oil, add eggs and fry until cooked to desired doneness (you can flip them over halfway through cooking, or just cook on one side for sunny-side up eggs).
- Reheat leftover rice (from Tuesday) briefly in the microwave or on the stovetop with a splash of water or broth to prevent sticking.
- Spoon rice into individual serving bowls and spoon mushroom mixture over top. Top each bowl with a fried egg and then green parts of green onions. Season at the table with salt and pepper and hot sauce (if you’d like). Enjoy!