Black Bean Tacos
with mango salsa / honey-lime slaw / tropical smoothie
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika, any variety - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 12
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix (sub cabbage) - 5 oz
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2, diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, diced
- Mango cubes (sub orange segments or pineapple) - 1 1/2 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 tsp
- Mango cubes (sub orange segments or pineapple) - 2 cups
- Bananas - 2
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Ice cubes - 1/2 cup
- Water (sub orange juice if you have it) - 1/2 cup
- Make slaw - Whisk together honey, lime juice and olive oil. Toss with coleslaw mix and refrigerate for 30 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Bell peppers / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spice mix - Combine coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse beans.
- Make smoothie - Blend all smoothie ingredients until creamy and evenly incorporated. If too thick, add a bit of water.
- Mango - If using frozen, defrost mango in the microwave or by soaking for a few minutes in warm water.
- If not already cubed, chop mango (or other fruit, if using a sub). Toss with bell peppers, jalapenos and vinegar.
- Season slaw with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok or nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then beans and spice mix to heated oil. Saute until beans are heated through and coated in spices.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Top tortillas with black beans and then with slaw and mango salsa. Serve with smoothie on the side and enjoy!
This was delicious! We love the meals with shrimp because they cook so quick! Rather than tossing the shrimp with the spice mix we sprinkled the spice mix on the shrimp while sauteing and it turned out fine.0 Helpful
I loved these - though I’m coming to terms with my dislike of slaw and will likely sub that out next time. The mango was delicious! On a whim I made a sriracha mayo, which was pretty tasty. Edit: I made it again without the mayo, and used napa cabbage for the slaw - liked it just as much or better!0 Helpful
The spice mix was super good! I still think the mango salsa could have used some red onion, but the combination of the mango and the shrimp was great nonetheless.0 Helpful
Made this dish for dinner tonight. Whole family loved it. My kids love mango and shrimp - together it was perfect. I added some onion to the mango salsa as well. My husband needed a little of spice kick, otherwise we loved this recipe.0 Helpful
Sautéed some garlic and onion before adding shrimp and topped tacos with sour cream.0 Helpful
Amazing! Used Argentinian Red Shrimp and pineapple. Super flavorful!0 Helpful