Tofu Yakitori Stir-Fry
with sugar snap peas / rice
Yakitori is a Japanese dish that usually involves marinating meat in a sweet and savory sauce and grilling it on skewers. For a weeknight-friendly vegetarian dish, we took the classic flavors and turned them into a tofu stir-fry.
Tofu Yakitori Stir-Fry:
- Rice, uncooked white or brown (enough for 2 nights) - 1 1/2 cup
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz , cubed
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Mirin (find this Japanese rice wine in the international aisle or sub a splash of white wine) - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar, brown - 2 tsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Coleslaw mix (sub cabbage) - 5 oz , roughly chopped
- Sugar snap peas (frozen or fresh) - 1/2 lb , defrosted and trimmed
- Cornstarch - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Rice - This makes enough rice for two nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. Reserve half the rice for Thursday. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.25cm cubes. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Make sauce - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Whisk ginger and garlic with soy sauce, water, mirin and sugar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Coleslaw mix / Sugar snap peas - Prep as directed. Store white parts of green onions and coleslaw mix in one container. Store peas and green parts of green onions in separate containers. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Season tofu with some salt and pepper and toss in cornstarch until evenly coated.
- Heat a saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then tofu to hot oil. Saute tofu until golden brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add second part of cooking oil and then white parts of green onions and coleslaw mix to heated oil. Saute until coleslaw is tender but still crunchy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sugar snap peas and saute just until heated through, ~1 minute more.
- Add sauce, sesame seeds and tofu back into the pan and toss to coat everything in sauce. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, ~1 minute. Remove from heat and finish with green parts of green onions.
- If rice was prepared in advance, reheat briefly in the microwave or on the stovetop with a splash of water or broth to prevent sticking.
- Serve tofu over rice (make sure you've saved half for Thursday's dinner) and finish with lime juice. Enjoy!