Chicken Yakitori Stir-Fry
with sugar snap peas / cauliflower rice
Yakitori is a Japanese dish that begins with marinating meat in a sweet and savory sauce. Though traditionally the meat is skewered and grilled, we turn it into a quick stir-fry to keep this dish weeknight-friendly.
Chicken Yakitori Stir-Fry:
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin (find this Japanese rice wine in the international aisle or sub a splash of white wine) - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Cauliflower (enough for 2 nights) - 2 heads , florets chopped
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Coleslaw mix (sub cabbage) - 5 oz , roughly chopped
- Sugar snap peas (frozen or fresh) - 1/2 lb , defrosted and trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Make sauce - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Whisk ginger and garlic with aminos, water, mirin and maple syrup. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube and pour ¼ of the sauce over the chicken. Tenderize with a fork and allow to marinate for 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cauliflower rice - This makes enough for 2 nights. Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. Reserve half the cauliflower rice for Thursday. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions / Coleslaw mix / Sugar snap peas - Prep as directed. Store white parts of green onions and coleslaw mix in one container. Store peas and green parts of green onions in separate containers. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat a saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then chicken to hot oil. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add second part of cooking oil and then white parts of green onions and coleslaw mix to heated oil. Saute until coleslaw is tender but still crunchy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sugar snap peas and saute just until heated through, ~1 minute more.
- Add remaining sauce, sesame seeds and chicken and toss to coat everything in sauce. Remove from heat and finish with green parts of green onions.
- If cauliflower rice was prepared in advance, reheat briefly in the microwave or on the stovetop with a splash of water or broth to rehydrate.
- Serve chicken over cauliflower rice (make sure you've saved half for Thursday's dinner) and finish with lime juice. Enjoy!