Chicken Yakitori Stir-Fry
with sugar snap peas / rice
Yakitori is a Japanese dish that begins with marinating meat in a sweet and savory sauce. Though traditionally the meat is skewered and grilled, we turn it into a quick stir-fry to keep this dish weeknight-friendly.
Chicken Yakitori Stir-Fry:
- Rice, uncooked white or brown (enough for 2 nights) - 1 1/2 cup
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Tamari - 1/4 cup
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin (find this Japanese rice wine in the international aisle or sub a splash of white wine) - 2 Tbsp
- Sugar, brown - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Coleslaw mix (sub cabbage) - 5 oz , roughly chopped
- Sugar snap peas (frozen or fresh) - 1/2 lb , defrosted and trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Rice - This makes enough rice for two nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. Reserve half the rice for Thursday. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Whisk ginger and garlic with tamari, water, mirin and sugar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube and pour ¼ of the sauce over the chicken. Tenderize with a fork and allow to marinate for 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Green onions / Coleslaw mix / Sugar snap peas - Prep as directed. Store white parts of green onions and coleslaw mix in one container. Store peas and green parts of green onions in separate containers. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then chicken to hot oil. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add second part of cooking oil and then white parts of green onions and coleslaw mix to heated oil. Saute until coleslaw is tender but still crunchy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sugar snap peas and saute just until heated through, ~1 minute more.
- Add remaining sauce, sesame seeds and chicken and toss to coat everything in sauce. Remove from heat and finish with green parts of green onions.
- If rice was prepared in advance, reheat briefly in the microwave or on the stovetop with a splash of water or broth to prevent sticking.
- Serve chicken over rice (make sure you've saved half for Thursday's dinner) and finish with lime juice. Enjoy!