Artichoke and Mushroom French Bread Pizzas
with lemon, bell pepper and caper salad
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 8, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown variety - 8 oz, chopped
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 6 oz, thinly sliced
- French baguette - 1 loaf, halved and cut into 6" / 15cm lengths
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato puree (14 oz / 397 g can; sub tomato sauce) - 1 can
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2, diced
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 head, chopped
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Capers - 1 Tbsp, rinsed
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- While oven is getting warm, heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Add oil and shallots to hot oil. Saute until shallots are tender, ~1 minute. Add mushrooms and artichokes and saute until mushrooms are tender and golden, 3 to 4 minutes more. Add tomato puree and tomato paste and simmer until sauce reduces and thickens, ~2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spray a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray and top with baguettes, cut-side up. Brush with a bit of cooking oil. Place sheet pan in the oven and bake just until baguettes are starting to toast on the top, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove sheet pan from oven and top baguettes with sauce and then mozzarella slices. Return pan to oven and continue baking until cheese is melted, ~8 minutes more.
- While pizzas bake, whisk together honey, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss lettuce, bell peppers and capers in dressing.
- Serve pizzas hot out of the oven with salad on the side. Enjoy!
I added Italian seasoning to the sauce, and used my nondairy cheese for mine, real cheese for everyone else. The salad dressing was just right, but I did double the recipe.0 Helpful
Love it. Vegetarian version was great! Had really good fresh cheese!0 Helpful
Also very good. I used some of the bread you finish baking a home, which made it very fresh. Also liked the fresh mozzarella vs shredded - a lot less salt.0 Helpful
So good and super easy!0 Helpful
This was almost more like a meatball sandwich for us, but it was yummy.0 Helpful
Great flavor...salad was Meh0 Helpful