Sausage, Mushroom and Chard Stew
with lemon, bell pepper and caper salad
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, small - 1, diced
- Chard - 1 bunch, leaves torn and stems chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown variety - 8 oz, sliced
- Carrots, medium - 2, diced
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1 lb
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2, diced
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 head, chopped
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Capers - 1 Tbsp, rinsed
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and carrots to pot. Saute for 3 minutes and then add in tomatoes (including juice), stock and Italian seasonings. Cover and bring to a boil. Add in mushrooms and simmer uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While stew is cooking, whisk together maple syrup, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss lettuce, bell peppers and capers in dressing.
- Add chard leaves to stew and simmer for another 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve stew with salad on the side and enjoy!
I added Italian seasoning to the sauce, and used my nondairy cheese for mine, real cheese for everyone else. The salad dressing was just right, but I did double the recipe.0 Helpful
Love it. Vegetarian version was great! Had really good fresh cheese!0 Helpful
Also very good. I used some of the bread you finish baking a home, which made it very fresh. Also liked the fresh mozzarella vs shredded - a lot less salt.0 Helpful
So good and super easy!0 Helpful
This was almost more like a meatball sandwich for us, but it was yummy.0 Helpful
Great flavor...salad was Meh0 Helpful