Sausage, Mushroom and Chard Stew
with lemon, bell pepper and caper salad
Sausage, Mushroom and Chard Stew:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Onions, small - 1 , diced
- Chard - 1 bunch , leaves torn and stems chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown variety - 8 oz , sliced
- Carrots, medium - 2 , diced
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1 lb
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
Lemon, Caper and Bell Pepper Salad:
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2 , diced
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 head , chopped
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Capers - 1 Tbsp , rinsed
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and carrots to pot. Saute for 3 minutes and then add in tomatoes (including juice), stock and Italian seasonings. Cover and bring to a boil. Add in mushrooms and simmer uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While stew is cooking, whisk together maple syrup, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss lettuce, bell peppers and capers in dressing.
- Add chard leaves to stew and simmer for another 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve stew with salad on the side and enjoy!