Chicken Sausage Penne
with broccoli rabe / toasted pecans
- Broccoli rabe (also called rapini; sub broccoli florets) - 12 oz, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Pecan halves - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Sausage, chicken (preferably pre-cooked; sub any variety sausage) - 1 lb, casings removed (if applicable) and sliced
- Pasta, gluten-free penne - 10 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2, zest of
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. To hot pan, add pecans and saute until golden and fragrant, ~4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Return pan to heat and add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add sausage and saute until golden brown, ~3 minutes for pre-cooked sausage (a few minutes longer for uncooked sausage). Transfer to a plate and return pan to heat. Add broccoli rabe and saute until bright green and tender, ~2 minutes (a few minutes longer for broccoli florets). Add garlic and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Add sausage back to pan along with cooked pasta. Stir to heat everything through, ~1 minute.
- Top pasta with black pepper (preferably fresh-cracked), red pepper flakes, lemon zest and finish with pecans. Enjoy!
I thought this dish was pretty good. After reading everyone's comments about the dryness, I added a tablespoon of butter to the pasta, and then added some white wine and parmesan. It worked out pretty well.1 Helpful
Used 1/2 cup ricotta to finish this as it seemed a bit dry/plain otherwise. We loved the broccoli/ chicken sausage combo! Quick easy for a weekend lunch.0 Helpful
Really delicious and easy!0 Helpful
Liked it a lot! Added some lemon juice and parm cheese! Delicious0 Helpful
This was so easy and it came together very well.0 Helpful
Good but won't make again0 Helpful
Too dry and not really flavorful0 Helpful