Chicken Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Sautewith spinach / cranberry / pecan salad
- Broccoli rabe (also called rapini; sub broccoli florets) - 12 oz, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Sausage, chicken (preferably pre-cooked; sub any variety sausage) - 1 1/2 lb, casings removed (if applicable) and sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 4 oz
- Pecan halves - 1/2 cup
- Cranberries, dried - 1/2 cup
- Make dressing - Whisk together vinegar, maple syrup and mustard. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Broccoli rabe / Garlic / Sausage - Prep as directed. Store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and to hot oil, add sausage and saute until golden brown, ~3 minutes for pre-cooked sausage (a few minutes longer for uncooked sausage). Add broccoli rabe and saute until bright green and tender, ~2 minutes (a few minutes longer for broccoli florets). Add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Just before serving toss spinach, pecans and cranberries in dressing.
- Serve sausage saute with salad on the side and enjoy!
This meal has 112 reviews
It was good, not great. I added some chicken stock to get more of a sauce out of it, and used italian chicken sausage.
Use less garlic and it'll turn out better
added some extra olive oil and lemon juice for a light "sauce." Forwent the breadcrumbs and added Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Hubby and I had never had rapini, enjoyed it a lot! Wasn't sure I would, am used to 'saucy' pastas, but this was really tasty - do NOT skip the garlic breadcrumbs, they really add great flavor, and be sure to use a tasty chicken sausage (we used an italian chicken sausage).
I added a splash of white wine and parmesan cheese because of the comments here. When cooking the florets, I threw these extras in with some extra oil and it came out good. I also used a flavorful chicken and apple sausage, so that probably helped. Ended up pretty tasty.
The salad was really good!