Chicken Sausage Penne
with broccoli rabe / garlic breadcrumbs
- Broccoli rabe (also called rapini; sub broccoli florets) - 12 oz, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Sausage, chicken (preferably pre-cooked; sub any variety sausage) - 1 lb, casings removed (if applicable) and sliced
- Pasta, penne - 10 oz
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2, zest of
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, add garlic and breadcrumbs and saute until breadcrumbs are golden and fragrant, ~2 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and transfer to a bowl.
- Return pan to heat and add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add sausage and saute until golden brown, ~3 minutes for pre-cooked sausage (a few minutes longer for uncooked sausage). Transfer to a plate and return pan to heat. Add broccoli rabe and saute until bright green and tender, ~2 minutes (a few minutes longer for broccoli florets).
- Add sausage back to pan along with cooked pasta. Stir to heat everything through, ~1 minute.
- Top pasta with black pepper (preferably fresh-cracked), red pepper flakes, lemon zest and finish with breadcrumbs. Enjoy!
Liked it a lot! Added some lemon juice and parm cheese! Delicious0 Helpful
This was so easy and it came together very well.0 Helpful
Good but won't make again0 Helpful
Too dry and not really flavorful0 Helpful
I thought this dish was pretty good. After reading everyone's comments about the dryness, I added a tablespoon of butter to the pasta, and then added some white wine and parmesan. It worked out pretty well.1 Helpful
6 of 10. It was okay. Added some Alfredo sauce to try and give it some moisture. Not especially a fan of the breadcrumbs on top. There are so many great recipes on this site, I don't think I'll make this one again.0 Helpful