Chicken Sausage Penne
with broccoli rabe / garlic breadcrumbs
- Broccoli rabe (also called rapini; sub broccoli florets) - 12 oz, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Sausage, chicken (preferably pre-cooked; sub any variety sausage) - 1 lb, casings removed (if applicable) and sliced
- Pasta, penne - 10 oz
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2, zest of
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, add garlic and breadcrumbs and saute until breadcrumbs are golden and fragrant, ~2 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and transfer to a bowl.
- Return pan to heat and add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add sausage and saute until golden brown, ~3 minutes for pre-cooked sausage (a few minutes longer for uncooked sausage). Transfer to a plate and return pan to heat. Add broccoli rabe and saute until bright green and tender, ~2 minutes (a few minutes longer for broccoli florets).
- Add sausage back to pan along with cooked pasta. Stir to heat everything through, ~1 minute.
- Top pasta with black pepper (preferably fresh-cracked), red pepper flakes, lemon zest and finish with breadcrumbs. Enjoy!
I thought this dish was pretty good. After reading everyone's comments about the dryness, I added a tablespoon of butter to the pasta, and then added some white wine and parmesan. It worked out pretty well.1 Helpful
Not our favorite meal! But that’s okay because so many others have been the best!0 Helpful
Used regular broccoli and Italian sausage.0 Helpful
Quick easy and tasty. But dry. Could use a sauce or olive oil.0 Helpful
3 out of 4 of us loved this quick and easy meal. The one who didn't is our picky eater, and he wasn't a fan of the bread crumbs. I would make it again without the crumbs and add a nice olive oil sauce to it.0 Helpful
This recipe would be a lot better with a white wine sauce. It sounded so straight forward and looked so delicious in the picture that I didn't think to read the reviews. Very dry + breadcrumbs that make it drier. Two stars because it's a quick meal if you're in a pinch to use what you have on hand. But be sure to add sauce, butter, or stock!0 Helpful
Went into this with low expectations, but it was really quite good! We added butter and parm to the pasta which really helped. We used beyond meat sausages which were tasty. It was a nice easy meal that worked well with a busy Monday evening schedule.0 Helpful