Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
with garlicky chard
- Fennel bulb, small - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Red peppers, roasted (store-bought in a jar) - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Potatoes, sweet - 1 lb, cubed
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Chard, any variety - 6 leaves, leaves and stems chopped and separated
- Sweet potatoes / Garlic / Fennel / Red peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Chard / Chicken - Prep as directed. Season chicken with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cook sweet potatoes - Place sweet potatoes into a microwave-safe pan or bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~ 5 minutes.
- Heat a Dutch oven or wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until chicken is golden brown on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes (it will finish cooking in the sauce). Transfer chicken to a plate.
- To the hot pan, add second part of oil, fennel and a pinch of salt. Saute until fennel is tender, ~3 minutes. Add cumin, paprika and red pepper flakes and saute until spices are toasted and fragrant, 1 minute. Add tomato paste and then stock. Bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium so that the sauce is at a low simmer. Add chicken back into the pan along with red peppers and sweet potatoes. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 6 minutes. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Transfer stew to a serving dish and return pan to heat.
- If the pan is dry, add a splash more oil and then garlic. When garlic is fragrant, add chard stems and saute for ~3 minutes. Fold in chard leaves and saute until leaves are softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve stew in bowls with garlic chard on the side and enjoy!
Replaced fennel with a shallot. Better with the chard mixed in at the end into the stew!0 Helpful
This came together so awesome and was the perfect choice for a busy night! I added the chard to the stew.0 Helpful
Subbed in lentils instead of sweet potatoes. Decent, but not awesome.0 Helpful
This was a very nice stew.0 Helpful
Didn't have roasted red peppers, which was a bummer, but this still worked nicely. It was spicier than I expected, but not in a bad way. Enjoyed it and would definitely make it again, but not a favorite.0 Helpful
very good. yogurt makes the sauce creamy. Rice is good but I could see egg noodles as an option, or even dumplings.0 Helpful