Chicken and Chickpea Stew
with garlicky chard / leftover rice
This protein-packed stew with chicken and chickpeas gets a boost of flavor from caramelized fennel and spices. Serve over leftover rice with a side of garlicky chard.
Chicken and Chickpea Stew:
- Fennel bulb, small - 1/2 , thinly sliced
- Red peppers, roasted (store-bought in a jar) - 1/2 cup , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g can) - 1 can , rinsed and drained
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Leftover cooked rice, white or brown (from Wednesday) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1/2 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Chard, any variety - 6 leaves , leaves and stems chopped and separated
- Garlic / Fennel / Red peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Chard / Chicken - Prep as directed. Season chicken with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven or wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until chicken is golden brown on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes (it will finish cooking in the sauce). Transfer chicken to a plate.
- To the hot pan, add second part of oil, fennel and a pinch of salt. Saute until fennel is tender, ~3 minutes. Add cumin, paprika and red pepper flakes and saute until spices are toasted and fragrant, 1 minute. Add tomato paste and then stock. Bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium so that the sauce is at a low simmer. Add chicken back into the pan along with red peppers and garbanzo beans. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 6 minutes. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Transfer stew to a serving dish and return pan to heat.
- If the pan is dry, add a splash more oil and then garlic. When garlic is fragrant, add chard stems and saute for ~3 minutes. Fold in chard leaves and saute until leaves are softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reheat rice in the microwave just until warm.
- Serve stew in bowls over rice with garlic chard on the side. Top with yogurt and enjoy!