Sesame Beef and Mushrooms
with sesame green beans
Sesame Beef and Mushrooms:
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt), more or less to taste - 1/4 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp , grated
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Mushrooms, shiitake, fresh - 6 oz , chopped
- Steak, flank or skirt - 1 1/2 lb , sliced against the grain
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
Sesame Green Beans:
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 2 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Sauce - Combine stock, aminos, sesame oil (the portion for the beef), maple syrup, sesame seeds (the portion for the beef), arrowroot powder and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Green beans / Bell peppers / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed. Combine garlic and ginger in one bowl. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Green onions / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beef - Slice against the grain into 2” / 5 cm long strips. Season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (the portion for the green beans) and when it begins to shimmer, add green beans. Saute green beans until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sesame oil (the portion for the beans), white sesame seeds and some salt and pepper. Saute for 1 minute more and then transfer green beans to a bowl and cover with foil or a plate to keep warm.
- Return the wok to heat and add first part of oil for the beef. To hot oil, add beef and saute until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of oil and to hot oil add mushrooms and bell peppers and saute until mushrooms are deep golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and white parts of green onions and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer until thick, about 2 minutes. Add beef back into pan and toss to coat in sauce.
- Squeeze lemon juice over green beans. Serve beef over green beans with green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy!