with broiled zucchini / mint yogurt sauce
- Lentils, any variety pre-cooked (look for vacuum-packed in the refrigerated section; otherwise canned) - 3 cups, drained and rinsed
- Green onions - 1 stalk, green and white parts chopped and combined
- Eggs - 1
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Italian seasonings - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Pine nuts (sub chopped walnuts) - 1/4 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mint, fresh - 10 leaves, finely chopped
- Lemons - 1/2, zest of
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1 cup
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/8 tsp
- Dill, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Zucchini (buy the smallest you can find) - 1 lb, quartered lengthwise into spears
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/4 cup
- Make yogurt sauce - If prepping right before cooking, turn oven on before continuing with prep. Chop mint and zest lemons. Combine with yogurt, honey, cumin and dill. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Fritters - Rinse and drain lentils. Chop green onions. Transfer lentils to the bowl of a food processor with egg, panko, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper. Pulse a couple times just to combine. Add white and green parts of green onions and pulse until lentils form a rough mixture that is soft enough to form into fritters. If the mixture seems too dry, add a splash of water a bit at a time. Form into 2” / 5 cm fritters (about 3 fritters per serving). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini spears - Slice in quarters lengthwise. (Note: adjust if using large zucchini. The spears should be small, about 1" / 2.5cm across.)
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C degrees. Spray a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together olive oil and honey. Add zucchini and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Add panko and toss again until zucchini is covered in panko. (Not all of the panko will stick, so gently pat as much on the sides of the zucchini as possible.) Place zucchini, peel side down on sheet pan and bake until tender, ~15 minutes.
- While zucchini bakes, heat a saute pan over medium heat. To the dry pan, add pine nuts (or pecan / walnut pieces) and toast just until golden brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer pine nuts to a bowl and return skillet to heat.
- To hot pan, add cooking oil and then fritters. Sear on both sides until golden brown and crisp, ~6 minutes total.
- When zucchini is tender, briefly turn on the oven’s broiler to get the tops brown and crisp,1 to 2 minutes.
- Spoon yogurt sauce onto serving plates and top with fritters and toasted nuts. Serve with zucchini on the side and enjoy!
The whole family liked the meatballs. Zucchini was pretty good.0 Helpful
Really tasty with the chutney! Chutney was a bit watery so we just used a slotted spoon to serve. I'm normally meh on zucchini but really liked it this way! The walnuts didn't add much -- maybe if we had pine nuts it would have been better.0 Helpful
Loved it! Definitely will make again.0 Helpful
Yummy! Our whole family loved it.0 Helpful
Loved it! Surprised when I saw that this was not oven bake meat balls (thought it would be).0 Helpful
This is one of our FAVORITES!!0 Helpful