Middle Eastern Salmon and Lemon Kebabs
with avocado citrus salad
This recent Bon Appetit photo inspired me to make salmon kebabs for the first time. I'm so excited to have this easy summer dish in my repertoire and bringing it to you all with a Middle Eastern twist. I've kept their presentation but switched up the spices. Za'atar is a fragrant ME spice blend. If you can't find it, don't fret. Just substitute dried thyme (but it's definitely worth looking into if you love Middle Eastern food!). Paired with a citrus and avocado salad, you have a light and healthy and summer dinner.
Citrus and Avocado Salad:
- Citrus (like grapefruit or oranges) - 2 to 3 , segmented
- Shallots - 1 Tbsp , minced
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 to 4 Tbsp
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Salad greens - 1/4 lb
- Almonds, sliced - for serving
Middle Eastern Salmon and Lemon Kebabs:
- Skewers - 16
- Salmon - 1 1/2 lbs , cubed
- Lemons - 2 , sliced thinly into rounds
- Oregano - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Za'atar - 1 tsp ((sub thyme))
- Oil, cooking - 1 to 2 Tbsp
- Dill, fresh - a sprig or two , chopped
- Skewers - Soak in water.
- Salmon - Rinse and dry fish. Chop into 1" (2.5 cm) cubes (It's OK if some pieces can't be perfectly cubed. We'll just fold them over when skewering.). Toss with salt & pepper.
- Lemon - Slice as thinly as possible.
- Citrus - Supreme (that's just the fancy French word for segmenting orange slices, but if you use it, people will think you're so cool). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Shallots - Mince. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Spice mix - Mix together oregano, coriander, and za'atar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Assemble each kebab with two skewers (When you use just one, ingredients often roll around, making it hard to flip efficiently). Alternate salmon cubes and lemon, folding lemon slice in half. Brush both sides with cooking oil and then sprinkle with spice mixture.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Add salmon kebabs and sear on both sides for about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Whisk together shallots, mustard, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt & pepper. For more vinaigrette ideas, check out this video.
- Slice avocado. Toss vinaigrette with greens, citrus, and avocado. Top with almonds.
- Enjoy kebabs with chopped dill and salad (BTW, you can eat the lemons!)