Spaghetti with Lentil-Marinara Sauce
with carrot salad
Cold February weather calls for hearty meals and this spaghetti with lentil-marinara sauce delivers. The crunchy carrot salad on the side provides the perfect tart accompaniment to cut through a rich tomato sauce.
Spaghetti with Lentil-Marinara Sauce:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Onions - 1 , diced
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , diced
- Parsley, fresh - 3 Tbsp , chopped
- Lentils, cooked (canned or vacuum-packed) - 2 cups
- Spaghetti - 8 to 10 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Ketchup - 2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes (28oz / 794g) - 1 can
- Basil, dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Parmesan (opt) - for serving
Carrot Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- Parsley, fresh - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 lb , peeled into ribbons
- Brown sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic / Onions / Green peppers / Parsley (for spaghetti & carrot salad) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Lentils - Rinse and drain, removing as much liquid as possible. Run a knife through lentils a few times to ‘ground’ them up.
- Carrots - If prepping right before dinner, get sauce simmering before returning to this prep step. Use a peeler to shave carrots into strips. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, onions, and green peppers to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and ketchup and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Fold in lentils, crushed tomatoes, basil, and oregano. Stir and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While sauce cooks, make vinaigrette for carrot salad by whisking together brown sugar, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, Dijon, and cooking oil. Toss shaved carrots with vinaigrette and parsley.
- Taste and season lentil-marinara sauce with more salt, pepper, spices, or tomato paste. Divide pasta onto plates and cover in sauce. Finish with parmesan and parsley. Enjoy with carrot salad on the side.