Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
with carrot salad
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Bell peppers, green - 1, diced
- Parsley, fresh - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Gluten-free spaghetti (sub any other type of pasta) - 8 to 10 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Ground beef, lean - 1 lb
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Ketchup - 2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes (28oz / 794g) - 1 can
- Basil, dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Parmesan (opt) - for serving
- Parsley, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 lb, peeled into ribbons
- Brown sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic / Onions / Green peppers / Parsley (for spaghetti & carrot salad) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Carrots - If prepping right before dinner, get sauce simmering before returning to this prep step. Use a peeler to shave carrots into strips. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, onions, and green peppers to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Fold in ground beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Brown for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and ketchup and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes, basil, and oregano. Stir and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While sauce cooks, make vinaigrette for carrot salad by whisking together brown sugar, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, Dijon, and cooking oil. Toss shaved carrots with vinaigrette and parsley.
- Taste and season meat sauce with more salt, pepper, spices, or tomato paste. Divide pasta onto plates and cover in meat sauce. Finish with parmesan and parsley. Enjoy with carrot salad on the side.
Great spaghetti alternative0 Helpful
Spaghetti was pretty good. I added some brown sugar to the meat sauce for a little sweetness. The carrot salad was mediocre.0 Helpful
Great!! Substituted turkey for the beef0 Helpful
Would have been better with italian sausage.0 Helpful
Much better than I expected especially since it was my first time making the zucchini ribbions. The meat sauce was really good! I left out the ketchup.0 Helpful
Used veggie grounds0 Helpful