Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
with carrot salad
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Onions - 1 , diced
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , diced
- Parsley, fresh - 3 Tbsp , chopped
- Spaghetti - 8 to 10 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Ground beef, lean - 1 lb
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Ketchup - 2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes (28oz / 794g) - 1 can
- Basil, dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Parmesan (opt) - for serving
Carrot Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- Parsley, fresh - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 lb , peeled into ribbons
- Brown sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic / Onions / Green peppers / Parsley (for spaghetti & carrot salad) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Carrots - If prepping right before dinner, get sauce simmering before returning to this prep step. Use a peeler to shave carrots into strips. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, onions, and green peppers to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Fold in ground beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Brown for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and ketchup and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes, basil, and oregano. Stir and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While sauce cooks, make vinaigrette for carrot salad by whisking together brown sugar, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, Dijon, and cooking oil. Toss shaved carrots with vinaigrette and parsley.
- Taste and season meat sauce with more salt, pepper, spices, or tomato paste. Divide pasta onto plates and cover in meat sauce. Finish with parmesan and parsley. Enjoy with carrot salad on the side.