Grilled Cheese with Chard
with roasted brussels sprouts
We love using simple condiments to create more flavor in our meals. Apricot jam lends the perfect bit of sweetness for a chard-filled grilled cheese and slightly bitter brussels sprouts.
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Cheese (like Swiss, gruyere, mozzarella, fontina) - 8 slices
- Jam, apricot (sub other type of fruit like peach) - 6 Tbsp
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, trimmed and halved
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Jam, apricot - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, dijon - 2 tsp
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Spread brussels sprouts out onto a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and then ‘steam’ for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove foil and toss brussels sprouts with oil. Roast for another 12 to 16 minutes, until outside leaves are brown and crispy.
- While brussels sprouts cook, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chard to heated oil. Saute until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Next butter one side of each piece of bread with about 1/2 Tbsp / 7g of butter / slice. Lay out bread buttered-side down. Layer with cheese, cooked chard, jam, another slice of cheese and top with bread, buttered-side up. Continue until all sandwiches are made.
- Heat up a griddle or a skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches onto heated surface (as many as can fit) and press down throughout the grilling process with a spatula. Flip once the first side is golden, ~ 3 to 4 minutes.
- When brussels sprouts are done, toss with jam, balsamic vinegar, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice grilled cheeses in half and enjoy with roasted brussels sprouts.
Yum! We roasted the brussels sprouts.0 Helpful
Amazing! Added a pinch of cinnamon to the couscous, and sauteed the brussels sprouts in a lot mor of the sauce!0 Helpful
9 of 10. I loved everything. Husband not crazy about cous cous and 6-yr old wouldn't eat cous cous or brussel sprouts. But, change this a bit to cauli-rice and broccoli and this would be a big hit for everyone.0 Helpful
made the brussels sprouts in the oven instead. I prefer them crispy and it was great!0 Helpful
Really amazing. Added some lime to the apricot sauce...one half. Really, really delish.0 Helpful
We all loved this! Very tasty. I roasted the brussel sprouts.0 Helpful