Baked Butternut Squash Risotto
with mustard greens / pecans
- Pecan halves - 1/2 cup, toasted and chopped
- Onions, small - 1, diced
- Butternut squash cubes (look for these in the freezer section) - 2 cups
- Cheese, parmesan - 3 oz, grated
- Mustard greens (sub kale, chard or baby spinach) - 1 cup, stems discarded and leaves chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Rice, Arborio - 1 cup
- Wine, white (sub stock) - 1/2 cup
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 4 cups
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Pecans - Toast pecan halves in a dry pan or skillet, stirring frequently until fragrant, about 3 minutes. When cool enough to handle, roughly chop. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Squash (if not using pre-cubed) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Mustard greens - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Heat a Dutch oven with a lid over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add Italian seasonings and rice and saute until rice is shiny, 3 to 4 minutes. Add wine and simmer until some of the wine is absorbed, ~2 minutes. Add stock, squash cubes and mustard green leaves. Season with some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Give the risotto a stir and cover with the lid.
- Transfer the covered risotto to the oven. Bake risotto until all of the liquid is absorbed, ~25 minutes. Stir butter into risotto. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve risotto with parmesan and chopped pecans on top. Enjoy!
really good and warming0 Helpful
I like the mild taste of this one a lot. It was great comfort food on a chilly night.0 Helpful
My husband liked this more than I did. He called it tasty and hearty, but I thought it was a bit blah.0 Helpful
I modified mine a bit and it was fantastic. Left the greens out and made a side salad. Replaced the Italian seasoning with salt, pepper, sage, and a pinch of nutmeg. After 25 minutes it was still very liquid-y, so I put it back in the oven for 5 minutes uncovered. Turned our great!0 Helpful
I really haven't met a risotto I didn't love.0 Helpful
Delicious! We increased the wine to 1 cup and decreased the stock by 1/2 cup to compensate. One of our favorites!0 Helpful