Baked Chicken Parmesan
with marinara / zucchini noodles
Save time and calories with oven-baked chicken parmesan over zucchini noodles or saute (sub regular noodles if you prefer). While the classic version requires pan frying, panko breading gives these baked chicken tenders a crisp exterior and juicy interior. Topped with cheese and served with marinara, it's a dinner the whole family will love!
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 4 oz, grated
- Cheese, parmesan, plus extra for serving - 2 oz, grated
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced into strips
- Eggs - 2
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Marinara sauce (use your favorite store bought variety) - 2 cups
- Zucchini - 1 lb, spiralized, sliced into noodles with a peeler, or sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mozzarella / Parmesan - Prep as directed. (Can be done 2 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Slice into strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler. (Note: If you prefer, you can also just slice your zucchini to make a zucchini saute.)
- Prep breading stations - In one bowl or container, whisk eggs with some salt and pepper. In a separate container with a lid (or Ziplock bag), combine panko, parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a container with a lid or Ziploc bag.
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Dip chicken into eggs and then toss into panko mixture. Cover with lid or zip bag and shake until panko coats chicken. Brush sheet pan with some oil and spread chicken out onto sheet pan. Bake on the middle oven rack for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken is done and golden.
- While chicken bakes, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil and zucchini with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until zucchini is tender, ~2 minutes for zucchini noodles and 4 minutes for zucchini slices.
- Remove chicken from oven. Turn on the oven’s broiler. Top chicken with mozzarella. Broil just until the mozzarella is melted, ~2 minutes.
- Heat sauce briefly in the microwave.
- Top zucchini with sauce, chicken and extra parmesan. Enjoy!
This was super easy, and turned out great!0 Helpful
Super easy and quick. The whole family liked it. I used spaghetti noodles instead of the zucchini.0 Helpful
Just sauteed the zucchini since we're not huge fans of zoodles. Used a spicy salsa instead of marinara which was way more interesting.0 Helpful
I've made chicken parmesan before but it was so nice to follow this easy recipe. The directions helped me flow so easily and I the time on the chicken was perfect. I used bread crumbs from toasted bread in place of panko (to save money). And I did make a little brown rice spaghetti to go with the meal for my young kids. Yum!0 Helpful
I made this after I got off work. I didn't have anything prepped, so it took me about 45-50 minutes. It was difficult, and cooking was quick. I subbed angel hair pasta instead of Zuchinni as well. My boyfriend LOVES it and so do I!0 Helpful
I loved it and my kids loved it too (though I made them some spaghetti). I can't believe how tasty the chicken was. I'd drain the zucchini noodles next time.0 Helpful