Asian Spice Tempeh
with ginger miso pan sauce / broccoli stir-fry
The spice rub that seasons these tempeh slices features Chinese Five Spice which brings a truly exotic flavor to Asian dishes. But don't stop there with the bold flavors in this Chinese inspired dinner - add a tangy ginger miso sauce to spice up the whole meal.
- Tempeh - 16 oz , 1/2" (1.25 cm) slices
- Chinese five spice powder (find in the spice or International aisle) - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar, light brown - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Broth, vegetable - 1/2 cup
- Broccoli - 1 head , florets
- Garlic - 3 cloves , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 tsp
- Ginger, fresh - 1 Tbsp , grated
- Water - 4 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Miso paste, white (sub any variety miso) - 4 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Sugar, light brown - 2 tsp
Tempeh - Slice tempeh into 1/2” (1.25 cm) thick slices. Combine five spice, sugar, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Rub tempeh with seasoning. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Sauce - Peel and grate ginger. Combine ginger, water, vinegar, miso, sesame oil and sugar. Puree sauce with an immersion or standing blender until smooth. Divide sauce in half and save the second half for Wednesday. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Broccoli / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some oil and then place tempeh on heated oil. Sear on each side until golden, ~5 minutes. Transfer tempeh to a plate and return skillet to heat. Add half the ginger miso sauce (remember to save the other half for Wednesday) and stock to hot pan. Stir, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan until the sauce thickens a bit, ~2 minutes. Turn off the heat under the pan.
Meanwhile, heat a wok or a second skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil for broccoli. When oil begins to shimmer, add broccoli and a tablespoon of water (for 4 servings, adjust accordingly) and stir-fry until bright green and tender, ~5 minutes. Add garlic, cashews, sesame seeds and soy sauce and stir fry until garlic is fragrant, ~1 minute more.
Serve tempeh with ginger miso pan sauce over top and broccoli on the side. Enjoy!