Asian Pork Chops
with ginger miso pan sauce / broccoli stir-fry
The spice rub that seasons these pork chops features Chinese Five Spice which brings a truly exotic flavor to Asian dishes. But don't stop there with the bold flavors - finish the dish with a tangy ginger miso pan sauce.
- Pork chops (bone in or out) - 1 1/2 lbs
- Chinese five spice powder (find in the spice or International aisle) - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar, light brown - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 1/2 cup
- Broccoli - 1 head , florets
- Garlic - 3 cloves , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 tsp
- Ginger, fresh - 1 Tbsp , grated
- Water - 4 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Miso paste, white (sub any variety miso) - 4 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Sugar, light brown - 2 tsp
Pork chops - Combine five spice, sugar, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Cover pork chops in spice mix and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Sauce - Peel and grate ginger. Combine ginger, water, vinegar, miso, sesame oil and sugar. Puree sauce with an immersion or standing blender until smooth. Divide sauce in half and save the second half for Wednesday. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Broccoli / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some oil and then place pork chops on heated oil. Sear on each side for ~3 minutes. For thin pork chops, this should be enough heat to cook them through. If you’re using thicker pork chops, lower heat and cover with a piece of foil until pork reaches 145F (63C) degrees. When done, let pork rest, covered for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
Return skillet to heat and add half the ginger miso sauce (remember to save the other half for Wednesday) and stock to hot pan. Stir, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan until the sauce thickens a bit, ~2 minutes. Turn off the heat under the pan.
While pork rests, heat a wok or a second skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil for broccoli. When oil begins to shimmer, add broccoli and a tablespoon of water (for 4 servings, adjust accordingly) and stir-fry until water steams off and broccoli is green and tender, ~4 minutes. Add garlic, cashews, sesame seeds and soy sauce and stir fry until garlic is fragrant, ~1 minute more.
Slice pork and serve with ginger miso pan sauce over top (remember to save half the sauce for Wednesday) and broccoli on the side. Enjoy!
Get access to all of our delicious recipes and time-saving meal plans!