Lemon and Herb Chicken Soup
with pan seared carrots
- Onions, small - 1, chopped
- Celery - 2 ribs, chopped
- Parsley, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless (sub chicken breasts) - 1 1/2 lbs
- Lemons - 1, zest and juice of
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 4 cups
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 tsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Bay leaves - 2
- Carrots - 1 lb, sliced
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add first part of oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add chicken and sear on both sides until cooked through, ~6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool. Return Dutch oven to the heat and add second part of oil. Add onions, celery and parsley with a pinch of salt. Saute until onions and celery are tender, ~3 minutes. Add lemon zest, stock, aminos, thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 5 minutes while flavors develop.
- While soup simmers, heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add butter and when it melts, add carrots, maple syrup and a generous pinch of salt. Saute carrots until golden brown and tender, ~6 minutes.
- Shred or chop chicken and add it back into the soup along with lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Discard thyme sprigs.
- Serve soup with carrots on the side and enjoy!
Bought bread bowls from Panera (didn't see the link they mention in the description to make the bowls) and brace yourself BUT-- I think the soup was better than Panera. I thought "no way can this be great without cream but at least I'll feel like I'm healthy" and I WAS SO WRONG. Soup was awesome. Totally making this again.0 Helpful
Nearly doubled the chicken broth by the end - lost a lot of liquid because the broccoli took much longer to soften than written. I'll blanch it first next time.0 Helpful
We made the 8 serving option and had to cook it for much longer than specified in the recipe, at all of the steps.0 Helpful
Used less flour and no bread bowl for less carbs, added blue cheese and chayenne pepper. It was perfect!0 Helpful
CREAM and BACON needs to be added ;)0 Helpful
Easiest broccoli Cheddar soup to make ever. I skip the bread bowl to cut down on carbs but otherwise this soup is great0 Helpful