Lemon and Herb Chicken Soup
with pan seared carrots
This variation on classic chicken soup has plenty of feel good ingredients to help keep those winter blues at bay. Lemon and fresh herbs add bright notes and pan seared carrot sticks give some crunch to serve on the side.
Lemon and Herb Chicken Soup:
- Onions, small - 1 , chopped
- Celery - 2 ribs , chopped
- Parsley, fresh - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless (sub chicken breasts) - 1 1/2 lbs
- Lemons - 1 , zest and juice of
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 4 cups
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 tsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Bay leaves - 2
Pan Seared Carrots:
- Carrots - 1 lb , sliced
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add first part of oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add chicken and sear on both sides until cooked through, ~6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool. Return Dutch oven to the heat and add second part of oil. Add onions, celery and parsley with a pinch of salt. Saute until onions and celery are tender, ~3 minutes. Add lemon zest, stock, aminos, thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 5 minutes while flavors develop.
- While soup simmers, heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add butter and when it melts, add carrots, maple syrup and a generous pinch of salt. Saute carrots until golden brown and tender, ~6 minutes.
- Shred or chop chicken and add it back into the soup along with lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Discard thyme sprigs.
- Serve soup with carrots on the side and enjoy!