Broccoli Cheddar Soup
with pan seared carrots
Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
- Broccoli - 1 lb , chopped, stems and florets reserved
- Onions, small - 1 , chopped
- Cheese, yellow or white sharp cheddar, plus extra for serving - 8 oz , shredded
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 Tbsp
- Nutmeg (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 4 cups
- Marsala wine (sub any dry white wine or stock) - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
Pan Seared Carrots:
- Carrots - 1 lb , sliced
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter (just the portion for the soup) and, when it melts, add onions and broccoli stems (reserve the florets) along with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until veggies are beginning to soften, ~4 minutes. Sprinkle cornstarch over veggies and saute until starch coats veggies, ~1 minute more. Add nutmeg, stock and Marsala wine and bring to a simmer. Simmer until broccoli stems are very tender, ~8 minutes.
- While soup simmers, heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add butter (the portion for the carrots) and when it melts, add carrots, sugar and a generous pinch of salt. Saute carrots until golden brown and tender, ~6 minutes.
- Return to the soup, and using an immersion or standing blender, puree the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the Dutch oven and stir in broccoli florets, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce (if using). Heat just until broccoli is tender, ~2 minutes. Turn off the heat (direct heat will turn the cheese grainy) and add cheese in several increments, stirring after each addition. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with extra cheese on top and carrots on the side and enjoy!