Broccoli Cheddar Soup
in bread bowls (or with rolls)
This restaurant favorite is easy to make at home. We even include directions for making bread bowls, but feel free to skip that step and serve with warm rolls instead. Smarts: Simmering broccoli stems in the soup and then blending them adds creaminess without the extra calories of heavy cream.
- Broccoli - 1 lb, chopped, stems and florets reserved
- Onions, small - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Cheese, yellow or white sharp cheddar, plus extra for serving - 8 oz, shredded
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/4 cup
- Nutmeg (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 4 cups
- Marsala wine (sub any dry white wine or stock) - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Bread, 6-inch round sourdough bread boules (sub small rolls) - 4
- Broccoli - Chop both the florets and stems of broccoli, keeping them separate. (Sometimes the tough broccoli stems get discarded, but we use them to flavor and thicken this soup.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots / Cheese - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bread bowls - If using large bread boules, cut a hole in the top and hollow out the center so that the bowl can hold soup.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter and, when it melts, add onions, carrots and broccoli stems (reserve the florets) along with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until veggies are beginning to soften, ~4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over veggies and saute until flour coats veggies, ~1 minute more. Add nutmeg, stock and Marsala wine and bring to a simmer. Simmer until broccoli stems are very tender, ~8 minutes. Using an immersion or standing blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Return the soup to the Dutch oven and reduce heat to low-medium. Stir in broccoli florets, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce (if using). Heat just until broccoli is tender, ~2 minutes. Turn off the heat (direct heat will turn the cheese grainy) and add cheese in several increments, stirring after each addition. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bread bowls (or heat rolls and serve on the side), top with extra cheese and enjoy!
Bought bread bowls from Panera (didn't see the link they mention in the description to make the bowls) and brace yourself BUT-- I think the soup was better than Panera. I thought "no way can this be great without cream but at least I'll feel like I'm healthy" and I WAS SO WRONG. Soup was awesome. Totally making this again.0 Helpful
Nearly doubled the chicken broth by the end - lost a lot of liquid because the broccoli took much longer to soften than written. I'll blanch it first next time.0 Helpful
We made the 8 serving option and had to cook it for much longer than specified in the recipe, at all of the steps.0 Helpful
Used less flour and no bread bowl for less carbs, added blue cheese and chayenne pepper. It was perfect!0 Helpful
CREAM and BACON needs to be added ;)0 Helpful
Easiest broccoli Cheddar soup to make ever. I skip the bread bowl to cut down on carbs but otherwise this soup is great0 Helpful