Balsamic Marinated Steak Salad
with avocados / roasted red peppers / pine nuts
This entree salad is a breeze to put together thanks to a quick garlic and balsamic marinade for the steak. Smarts: Even 20 minutes will infuse the steak with flavor, but marinate up to 2 days to let the flavors really develop.
Balsamic Garlic Marinade:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce (opt) - 2 tsp
Steak Salad with Avocado and Roasted Red Peppers:
- Steak, sirloin, flank or skirt - 1 lb
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Pine nuts - 1/4 cup
- Bell peppers, from a jar of roasted red peppers - 2 , sliced
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Marinate steak - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, oil (just the portion for the marinade), vinegar and worcestershire sauce. Divide marinade in half. Reserve half the marinade and cover steak in the other half. Tenderize steak with a fork. Let steak marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make dressing - To the reserved half of the marinade, add mayonnaise and mustard and whisk well. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Pine nuts - You can leave the pine nuts raw or, if you prefer you can toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden, ~4 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Chop. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Avocados - Slice.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Remove steak from marinade and generously season with salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then steak to heated oil. Sear for 3 to 6 minutes on each side (closer to 3 for medium-rare and closer to 6 for more well done meat). Remove from heat, cover in foil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- Toss greens, red peppers, avocados and pine nuts in dressing. Top with sliced steak and enjoy!