Balsamic Marinated Steak Saladwith avocados / roasted red peppers / pine nuts
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce (opt) - 2 tsp
- Steak, sirloin, flank or skirt - 1 lb
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Pine nuts - 1/4 cup
- Bell peppers, from a jar of roasted red peppers - 2, sliced
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Marinate steak - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, oil (just the portion for the marinade), vinegar and worcestershire sauce. Divide marinade in half. Reserve half the marinade and cover steak in the other half. Tenderize steak with a fork. Let steak marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make dressing - To the reserved half of the marinade, add mayonnaise and mustard and whisk well. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Pine nuts - You can leave the pine nuts raw or, if you prefer you can toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden, ~4 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Chop. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Avocados - Slice.
- Remove steak from marinade and generously season with salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then steak to heated oil. Sear for 3 to 6 minutes on each side (closer to 3 for medium-rare and closer to 6 for more well done meat). Remove from heat, cover in foil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing across the grain (i.e. perpendicular to the fibers).
- Toss greens, red peppers, avocados and pine nuts in dressing. Top with sliced steak and enjoy!
This meal has 65 reviews
This was a very delicious salad! I don't think I marinated the steak for long enough though. And I had to cut them in half to get them to cook through...they were very thick steaks. If I make this again I may add a bit less garlic. My husband really loved it!
My husband and I love this one. We make it every other week at least
My family liked this a lot. My wife took it to work the next day, and said it was even better next day.
Especially loved the salad and salad dressing!!
Great overall flavor. I used sirloins and they came out nice and tender. Great salad!
Very good salad and excellent dressing!