with butternut squash / kale / black beans
Skip the steps involved in classic enchiladas by combining all of the ingredients in a single skillet. To make the dish even more weeknight friendly, everything comes together on the stovetop with a quick finish under the broiler to get a crisp, cheesy topping.
- Onions, red - 1/4 , diced
- Tortillas, flour and taco-sized - 6 , chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Squash, butternut - 1 lb , peeled and cubed
- Kale, large leaves - 2 , stems discarded and leaves chopped
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Cilantro leaves - 3 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Enchilada sauce, mild red (10 oz / 295 mL can) - 2 cans
- Cheese, monterey jack (sub cheddar) - 6 oz , shredded
- Sour cream, for serving - 1/4 cup
- Onions / Tortillas - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash / Kale - Discard stems and finely chop leaves. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Turn on the oven’s broiler.
- Place squash cubes into a microwave-safe pan or bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~ 2 minutes.
- Heat large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and to hot oil, add onions and kale. Saute until both onions and kale are very tender. Add enchilada sauce, chopped tortillas, beans, squash and half the cheese to the skillet. Gently stir to combine. Top with remaining half the cheese.
- Place skillet under the broiler and cook until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, ~3 minutes (watch it closely to prevent burning).
- Divide enchiladas between serving bowls and top with sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy!