Southwestern Chicken Skillet
with kale / butternut squash
Southwestern Chicken Skillet:
- Onions, red - 1/4 , diced
- Squash, butternut - 1 lb , peeled and cubed
- Kale, large leaves - 2 , stems discarded and leaves chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Cilantro leaves - 3 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Enchilada sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Leftover cauliflower rice (from Wednesday) - ~2 cups
Red Enchilada Sauce (Paleo and Gluten-Free):
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chili powder - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 5 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Enchilada sauce - Heat oil (the portion for the sauce) in a saucepan over medium heat. To the hot oil, add chili powder, cumin and oregano and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Whisk in stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, ~5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Squash / Kale - Discard stems and finely chop leaves. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces, season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork.
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Place squash cubes into a microwave-safe pan or bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~ 2 minutes.
- Heat large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil. To hot oil, add chicken and saute until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, ~4 minutes. Set aside and return skillet to heat.
- Add second part of oil to skillet. To hot oil, add onions and kale. Saute until both onions and kale are very tender. Add enchilada sauce, squash and chicken. Simmer to let the flavors come together, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reheat cauliflower rice in the microwave.
- Serve chicken over cauliflower rice and top with cilantro. Enjoy!