Red Curry Chicken
with root vegetables / cauliflower rice
- Potatoes, sweet - 3/4 lb, peeled and chopped
- Turnips, small (sub carrots) - 2, peeled and chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lbs, chopped
- Cilantro, fresh - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Curry paste, Thai red (sub yellow or green) - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk, light - 1 1/2 cups
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Cauliflower - 2 heads, florets chopped
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Cauliflower rice - This makes enough for 2 nights. Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Potatoes / Turnips / Bell peppers / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces, season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork.
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Place sweet potatoes and turnips into a microwave-safe pan or bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until sweet potatoes are tender, ~3 minutes. (Turnips should still have a bit of crunch.) Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Heat a Dutch oven or wok over medium-high heat and add first part of cooking oil. When oil is hot, sear chicken until golden brown on all sides, ~4 minutes total (it may not be cooked all the way through, but will finish in the sauce). Remove from pan and set aside. Return the pan to the burner and reduce heat to medium.
- Add second part of oil and garlic, ginger, curry paste and bell peppers to hot oil. Saute until bell peppers are just starting to turn tender, ~1 minute. Add sweet potatoes, turnips and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer until sauce reduces slightly, ~3 minutes. Return chicken to pan, spooning sauce over the top. Continue to simmer (don’t let it boil or the chicken will turn tough) until chicken is cooked through, ~4 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Top with lime juice and cilantro.
- If made ahead, reheat cauliflower rice briefly in the microwave. (Remember to save half for Thursday.)
- Spoon chicken, vegetables and sauce over cauliflower rice and enjoy!
Didn't have carrots. Added some curry to the sauce. really good!0 Helpful
I expected more depth of flavor from the peanut sauce. It was fine, but nothing more than that.0 Helpful
I ate it with farro instead of the cauliflower.0 Helpful
We've made several curries on Cook Smarts, but this one stood out for some reason. It all came together very well. We don't like cauliflower rice, so just cooked down the sauce a little more and ate it sans "filler." Really satisfying. Used extra curry sauce.0 Helpful
The sweet potatoes kind of overpowered the taste of the sauce and everything else. Next time I'll try with a different veggie.0 Helpful
I saw other reviews that suggested tweaking the sauce, so I added a teaspoon of curry powder and 1.5 cups stock and .5 cup coconut water instead of just 2 cups stock. I also had to cook the sweet potatoes & turnips a bit longer in the microwave. Delicious!0 Helpful