Kale and Sweet Potato Frittata
with red pepper, avocado and pepita salad
Tender sweet potatoes and sauteed savory kale balance one another in this quick, weeknight-friendly frittata. Smarts: If making frittatas for more or less than 4 people, try making baking them in muffin tins (recipe makes 2 muffin-size frittatas per person). Mini frittatas freeze well too!
Kale and Sweet Potato Frittata:
- Onions, red - 1/4 , diced
- Potatoes, sweet - 1 lb , peeled and chopped
- Kale, large leaves - 2 , stems discarded and leaves chopped
- Eggs - 8 , whisked
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Romaine Salad with Red Peppers and Avocados:
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Shallots - 1 clove , diced
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 head , chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Place sweet potatoes into a microwave-safe pan or bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~ 3 minutes.
- Heat 9” to 10” (22.5 to 25cm) skillet over medium heat (skillet size is based on 4 servings - you may need a smaller or larger skillet if you're customizing). Add cooking oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Add kale and saute until tender, ~2 minutes more. Add sweet potatoes and stir gently to combine. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggies. Stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
- While frittata is baking whisk together shallots, both vinegars, maple syrup and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss vinaigrette with lettuce, bell peppers, avocados and pepitas.
- Serve frittata warm out of the oven with salad on the side.