Kale and Sweet Potato Frittata
with red pepper, avocado and pepita salad
- Onions, red - 1/4, diced
- Potatoes, sweet - 1 lb, peeled and chopped
- Kale, large leaves - 2, stems discarded and leaves chopped
- Eggs - 8, whisked
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, chopped
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 head, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Place sweet potatoes into a microwave-safe pan or bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~ 3 minutes.
- Heat 9” to 10” (22.5 to 25cm) skillet over medium heat (skillet size is based on 4 servings - you may need a smaller or larger skillet if you're customizing). Add cooking oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Add kale and saute until tender, ~2 minutes more. Add sweet potatoes and stir gently to combine. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggies. Stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
- While frittata is baking whisk together shallots, both vinegars, maple syrup and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss vinaigrette with lettuce, bell peppers, avocados and pepitas.
- Serve frittata warm out of the oven with salad on the side.
Great and Toddler approved! Used baby spinach and baby kale and mixed in sour cream when whipping the eggs. Puffed up perfectly in the oven. Enough leftovers for breakfast. Delish!0 Helpful
made it with spinach instead of kale, added zucchini and red bell pepper and mixed the sour cream in with the eggs. yummy!0 Helpful
Really enjoyed the sweet potato/kale mix in the frittata, and salad was a good mix too. Omitted the maple syrup and vinegar from the dressing -- just used balsamic and olive oil. With a good balsamic, you don't need to sweeten it up.0 Helpful
Frittata was fantastic! I think better than the sweet potato and spinach one.0 Helpful
I only made the frittata. Very tasty! Made a bunch extra to freeze for breakfasts to bring with me to work. Note to future cooks: if you are making them in a muffin tin, do not overfill with egg. It puffs up and oozes everywhere!0 Helpful