with cumin-lime slaw
Smarts: Instead of frying the tortillas, we take a healthier approach by broiling them.
- Tortillas, gluten-free corn and taco-sized - 8
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp (more as needed)
- Eggs - 8
- Beans, refried (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Avocado - 1, sliced
- Sour cream - 6 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Shallots - 1 clove, sliced
- Peppers, chipotle (opt - canned, found usually in adobo sauce) - 1/2 to 1, chopped
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes (14oz / 397g) - 1 can
- Chili powder - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Tamari - 1 tsp
- Coleslaw mix or cabbage - 10 oz, sliced
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar, white - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Cabbage (if you didn’t purchase coleslaw mix) / Garlic / Shallots / Chipotle peppers (if using) / Cilantro (for salsa and slaw) - Prep as directed. For cabbage, you can also use a food processor. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make slaw - Combine cabbage / coleslaw mix with salt, sugar, cumin, cilantro, lime juice, and olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Arrange top rack of the oven so it’s 6” / 15cm from the broiler. Turn on broiler. Place tortillas onto a sheet pan (you might have to separate into 2 batches). Brush both sides of tortillas with some oil and broil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until they crisp up. Transfer tortillas onto plates (2 / serving).
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat for salsa. Add cooking oil and then garlic, shallots, and chipotle pepper (if using). Saute for ~1 minute and then fold in crushed tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, and Tamari. Stir and simmer for ~10 minutes and stir in cilantro.
- While salsa cooks, fry eggs in a large non-stick skillet or pan (if using a griddle, set griddle to 325F / 163C). Heat pan over medium heat and then add cooking oil. Crack eggs into heated oil (you may have to work in batches) and cook until the whites are set. If you like your eggs less runny, cover the pan with a lid and cook until eggs are at the consistency you want. Transfer to tortillas. Repeat until all eggs are cooked.
- Empty refried beans into a microwave-safe container. Heat according to instructions on can.
- Slice avocados. Enjoy eggs with salsa, avocados, refried beans, sour cream, and slaw on the side.
Used pre-made salsa to save time. Smoothie really tasty. Liked the huevos and slaw as well. Used leftover slaw with chili later -- yum!0 Helpful
Modifications: - Heat tortillas over gas burner, don't bother w/ broiler - Less cumin in slaw - Yogurt instead of sour cream - Canned ranchero beans instead of refried0 Helpful
Love this meal! We make it almost once a week and everyone, including my 6 year old, loves it!0 Helpful
I really messed this up. I will try again at some point.0 Helpful
Scrambled eggs instead of fried.0 Helpful
The salsa is awesome!0 Helpful