Turkey Chorizo Soup
with kale, potatoes, and corn
Smarts: If you're limited in spices and want a shortcut, you can also purchase chorizo from your meat counter.
- Ground turkey, lean (sub other ground meat) - 1 lb
- Chili powder - 2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander - 2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Adobo sauce (opt - usually found with canned chipotles - sub smoked paprika) - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Kale (1 bunch = ~6 leaves) - 1 bunch, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Potatoes, any type - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 4 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 4 cups
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Corn kernels, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Sour cream - 6 Tbsp
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions, garlic, chopped kale stems, and tomato paste to heated oil. Saute until tender, ~3 minutes.
- Fold in seasoned ground turkey and break up with a wooden spoon. Brown meat for 4 to 6 minutes. (If you couldn’t find lean ground turkey and a lot of fat has cooked out, drain out as much fat as possible before starting next step)
- Add potatoes and chicken stock. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- While soup cooks, slice lime into wedges.
- Once potatoes are tender, fold in kale leaves and corn. Turn off heat and season to taste with salt, pepper, other spices, or even hot sauce.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with sour cream and lime wedges.
Love it! I have all the ingredients in my garden and wil be making this probably twice a month untill my poblano’s are all up. It gets even better after a day or 2! Great light lunch. Will try the vegetarian as well0 Helpful
Incredible! Toddler & husband approved! Made just as directed.0 Helpful
Taste better a few days out, similar to another soup we had recently but still very tasty0 Helpful
Would have preferred this with Adobo, but am on the Whole30 and couldn't find a compliant brand. Subbed a spicy chipotle salsa.0 Helpful
So yummy! I halved the spices because I used half chorizo, and half ground turkey. Did everything else per the recipe. Prepped all of it ahead of time, which made a quick easy meal and nearly no mess! With a ton of sour cream, my toddler even ate it!0 Helpful
So delicious. The adobo sauce gave it an amazing flavour! Must remember to chop the kale leaves into smaller pieces next time.0 Helpful