Tofu Curry Noodle Soup
with mushrooms and cabbage
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 1 lb, cubed
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar, brown - 1 tsp + 1/2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, sliced
- Shallots - 1 bulb, sliced
- Coleslaw mix or cabbage - 10 oz, sliced
- Mushrooms, brown or shiitake - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Flat rice noodles (like for Pad Thai) - 1/2 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Curry paste, red - 1 to 2 Tbsp
- Coconut milk - 1 1/3 cups
- Vegetable broth - 3 cups
- Cilantro - 8 stems, leaves of
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Tofu - Slice into 1” / 2.5cm cubes. Combine first part of soy sauce, garlic powder, and first part of brown sugar in a bowl and toss with tofu. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Shallots / Cabbage (if not pre-sliced) / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. For cabbage, you can also use a food processor. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Noodles - Prep according to package instructions.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic and shallots to heated oil. Saute for ~1 minute, until fragrant.
- Next add tofu and saute until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Fold in cabbage and mushrooms and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add curry paste, coconut milk, vegetable broth, second part of soy sauce (if you are okay using fish sauce, it does give the broth a deep flavor), and second part of brown sugar. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 4 to 6 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, pick off cilantro leaves and slice limes into wedges.
- Taste and season with more soy sauce if it’s not savory enough or curry paste if it’s not fragrant enough.
- Divide noodles into bowls. Ladle soup over noodles and serve with cilantro and lime wedges.
Made with shrimp. Really tasty, but probably would want different noodles next time.0 Helpful
I would give 5 stars for the vegetarian version0 Helpful
Pretty good, but needed to add a lot more curry to make it interesting.0 Helpful
This soup was amazing!!0 Helpful
Good for a quick weeknight spicy soup!0 Helpful
The flavors were great - but this dish was way to salty for me. I'm going to need to find a low-sodium fish sauce.0 Helpful