Chicken Curry Zoodle Soup
with mushrooms and cabbage
Curry paste is one of our pantry essentials. With just a few more ingredients, you have a hearty comforting dish that tastes restaurant-worthy.
Smarts: This week we use coconut milk in Monday's mashed butternut squash, this soup, and Thursday's smoothie to make sure we don't waste anything.
- Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless - 1 lb, sliced
- Fish sauce - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, sliced
- Shallots - 1 bulb, sliced
- Coleslaw mix or cabbage - 10 oz, sliced
- Mushrooms, brown or shiitake - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Zucchini - 3/4 lb, spiralized or peeled
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Curry paste, red - 1 to 2 Tbsp
- Coconut milk - 1 1/3 cups
- Chicken stock - 3 cups
- Stevia - 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro - 8 stems, leaves of
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Chicken - Slice into strips. Season with first part of fish sauce and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Shallots / Cabbage (if not pre-sliced) / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. For cabbage, you can also use a food processor. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler.
- ‘Cook’ zucchini noodles - For spiralized noodles, place a microwave-safe colander into a large bowl (or really, just use your salad spinner without the top). Add in spiralized noodles and microwave 1 minute at a time for 3 to 4 minutes, until it reaches a tender but crunchy consistency. If any liquids release during cooking, they'll drain out of the colander into the bowl so the noodles don't become soggy. For peeled zucchini, place into a colander and sprinkle with salt. The salt will soften the noodles.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic and shallots to heated oil. Saute for ~1 minute, until fragrant.
- Next add chicken and saute until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold in cabbage and mushrooms and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add curry paste, coconut milk, chicken stock, second part of fish sauce, and Stevia to wok. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 4 to 6 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, pick off cilantro leaves and slice limes into wedges.
- Taste and season with more fish sauce if it’s not savory enough or curry paste if it’s not fragrant enough.
- Divide zucchini noodles into bowls. Ladle soup over veggie noodles and serve with cilantro and lime wedges.
Made with shrimp. Really tasty, but probably would want different noodles next time.0 Helpful
I would give 5 stars for the vegetarian version0 Helpful
Pretty good, but needed to add a lot more curry to make it interesting.0 Helpful
This soup was amazing!!0 Helpful
Good for a quick weeknight spicy soup!0 Helpful
The flavors were great - but this dish was way to salty for me. I'm going to need to find a low-sodium fish sauce.0 Helpful